Reflective Habits: Studying Abroad!

September 3rd, 2013 jmsalt15

Let me just start by saying that packing isn’t my thing. If it were up to me, I would dump out my drawers of clothes into my suitcase, stuff it in, and call it a day. My mom, on the other hand, is making me choose each item of clothing…and…ironing them. My dad is suggesting that I try to only bring one small suitcase because he is convinced that I can fit everything in it. Is he crazy? Needless to say, I no longer want to pack for St. Andrews.

I’ve had a long time to process the fact that I will be going abroad. I had one of the most incredible summers of my life, and that was mainly due to the fact that I spent it at Holy Cross. I fell in love with Holy Cross again this summer, and with all of the people I have met and the friends I have made, I finally feel like I completely belong. And now, naturally, I’m leaving the country for an entire year!

I’ve questioned my decision to Study Abroad for my entire junior year, but ultimately, I’m really glad I made the choice. Here’s why. Holy Cross has taught me so much. At Holy Cross, we have what we call the “Four Cornerstones…” and let me tell you, they never let us forget them!  Reflective Habits. Multicultural Competency. Cura Personalis. Community and Citizenship. These four cornerstones are drilled into our heads, and after two years of Holy Cross, they have not only stuck, but I have grown to appreciate them far beyond words.I have truly learned how to reflect while at Holy Cross, and through reflection, I have come to realize that studying abroad will truly help me appreciate multicultural competency, cura personalis, and community and citizenship. Most importantly, it will help me reflect on Holy Cross’ three main reflective questions for its students: Who am I? Who do I want to become? Who will I be for others?

Studying abroad will make me question myself, the society I live in, and will be living in, and how I can make a difference in the lives of others. Holy Cross has taught me that everyone is constantly discovering himself and herself, through trials and tribulations, through friendships, through classes, through professors, advisors, Jesuits, through every aspect and interaction in our lives. In that process of self-discovery, studying abroad in a different society and environment will prove to be one of those challenges needed to fully grasp who I am. So when I am upset because I don’t like the food, or I miss my parents, or the work is challenging, I plan to use my reflective habits and everything I have learned from Holy Cross to guide me.

Long story short, I am so thankful that I have received this Liberal Arts, Jesuit Education from Holy Cross, because it has supported and guided me into becoming who I am. There are so many members of the faculty and staff who have shaped me into who I am, and most importantly, there are so many students who have influenced me. Although I am leaving for a year, I will come back most likely appreciating Holy Cross even more.

So farewell, Holy Cross! I will continue to post about St. Andrew’s from this blog, the 8 other Holy Cross students who are traveling with me, and my other friends who are studying abroad all over the world!

At this time in four days, I will be arriving to Scotland! Talk to you soon and everyone enjoy your semester!

Jackie

One Response to “Reflective Habits: Studying Abroad!”

1. Carl says:

Studying abroad certainly has its difficulties, but the rewards are awesome! And you get a good view of the outside world. Congrats on getting your degree abroad Jackie!