Meeting Yann Martel

February 8th, 2014 jmsalt15

Quick (huge) update. At the beginning of the year, every fresher (first year or freshman) and study abroad student was given a copy of “Life of Pi” by Yann Martel. So I decided to bring this book along on my trip to Paris. I started reading in the airport, on the plane, on the train to where I needed to go, in the hotel room, on the train back to the airport, in the airport, and then finished it on the plane with an hour left of my plane ride. I was speechless and full of thoughts for the rest of the ride. Needless to say, I loved it. I couldn’t stop researching it when I got home. I had long, intense discussions about the ending with my friends who also read it. And I researched Yann Martel, the author.

And then, I had the chance to hear Yann Martel discuss his book. And after he spoke, I MET HIM and got a signed copy of the book. St. Andrews had him come and give a lecture discussing the book. I was in the second row. It was an incredible experience, and he his attitude toward life has inspired me more than I ever expected.

I took notes on everything he said. Some things he said that stood out to me were:

“We don’t have a good life if we don’t make choices and leap at things like having faith and trusting people.”

“It’s very easy to see what’s wrong with religion but it’s harder to see what’s right.”

“Truth is determined by you. Choose the better truth.”

When he signed the copy of my book, I told him that it changed my perspective on life. He said to me, “I’m so glad. Keep reading.” He then looked at the bookmark in my book, which was a Holy Cross Chaplains’ Office bookmark that has a quote on it. It reads, “When the heart is touched by direct experience, the mind may be challenged to change” -Peter Hans Kolvenback, S.J..

So the moral of THIS story is, if you are looking for inspiration, try to meet Yann Martel. But if that doesn’t work for you, then read “Life of Pi.” And even if you do meet Yann Martel, read “Life of Pi” anyways.

Cheers for now,

Jackie

1794523_10202757216358910_2032594229_n

My signed copy of “Life of Pi” with Yann Martel in the background!