The Biggest Show in Town: Big Top Ball!

March 22nd, 2014 jmsalt15
1617167_10151957157429087_1548756293_o

My current Facebook Cover Photo advertising Big Top Ball!

Hi Everyone!

Most people who go abroad are required to do an ICIP (Independent Cultural Immersion Project). These projects range from learning how to play golf, joining an orchestra, or even joining a club. For my ICIP, I knew I wanted to combine fundraising and event planning (and basically continue what I love to do at Holy Cross like CAB and Relay for Life). So I joined the Charities Campaign!

The Charities Campaign at St. Andrews raises money throughout the year for three main charities: Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders), Macmillan Cancer Support, and Maggie’s Cancer Caring Centre Fife. They have a lot of fundraisers throughout the year, but the one that I am mainly working on is Big Top Ball.

The main Big Top Ball poster that has gone up all over St. Andrews!

The “Ball” culture is big here – everyone loves getting dressed up for big events. Big Top Ball is a circus themed ball, which means that the ball will literally take place in circus tents! I’m helping organize logistics for the event. (There wouldn’t be a stage, dance floor, and lighting if it wasn’t for me!!!). The ball takes place on April 12th and I am getting excited. There are going to be about 750 people there who will be enjoying circus games, tons of different music acts, different types of entertainment, and tons of food!

Students at St. Andrews go all out with advertising. We have profile pictures and cover photos on Facebook specifically advertising for the event. Each big event/organization has a website. Click here for the Big Top Ball website! Soon all of the committee pictures are going to go up (potentially with a red clown noses…). We also had a carnival photo shoot to start advertising. Closer to the date, we will have videos going up to get people excited about the ball!  St. Andrews has a website called Bubble-TV which is like a St. Andrews online TV station. It has videos with everything happening at St. Andrews. If you are studying abroad here next year, or are just interested in what is happening at St. Andrews, you should totally check it out. Videos are up from the Fashion Show, Mr. St. Andrews, and even Big Top Ball from last year! Click here for the Bubble TV Website!

Its been so much fun to be a part of organizing a ball here at St. Andrews.

Jackie